Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava
Faculty of Architecture and Design (FAD STU)
announces a public international non-anonymous student design competition in accordance with § 847 – 849 of the Civil Code for the logo and visual style of the Visegrad Fund project:
CALL FOR DESIGN COMPETITION:
Railway Heritage for Sustainable Tourism Development – Rail4V4+V
The announcer of the competition:
Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava
Faculty of Architecture and Design
Námestie slobody 19, 812 45 Bratislava
Assoc. prof. Ing. Eva Kráľová, CSc.
Ing. arch. Vladimír Hain, PhD.
Vice-Dean for Strategic Projects, PR and Social Affairs:
Ing. Michal Brašeň, ArtD.
Dean: prof. Ing. arch. Pavel Gregor, Ph.D.
VAT number: 2020845255
VAT: SK 2020845255
(hereinafter referred to as “the announcer“)
Aim and subject of the competition
The competition aims to create a new modern logo, visual style, and information boards, which will become part of building the identity of the project with special emphasis on selected railway monuments, a virtual route, and all products of the project.
The participants will get acquainted with the main idea and goals of the project, as well as with the historical and current context of the railway project in the V4 + V region. They will offer a complete design of information boards (shape, material, content, project logo, position of QR codes), which will be placed in selected places – project stops.
The unified visual style of the Rail4V4 + V project is an important part of project communication. The logo should be designed to present the destinations and routes of selected railway lines in each partner country and their activities. The creation of the label will primarily contribute to the development of sustainable tourism in the regions and the results of the competition will contribute to the promotion and interpretation of railway heritage not only within the European Union, which has declared 2021 the “European Year of Railways”.
The design of the visual form of the logo design should make visible the untapped potential of the historical railways, respond to current trends, and correspond to the changing conditions in the media sphere and the travel sphere.
Type of competition and date of its announcement
International public competition for students and young professionals of art, architecture, and design and students of related disciplines from the participating 5 countries (Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Serbia/Vojvodina). Competition applicants’ age limit is a maximum of 30 years.
To the competition may sign an individual author or a group of two members of the team.
The competition is announced on: 07.09.2021
Application deadline: 01.11.2021
Competition evaluation: no later than: 15.11.2021
Attributes that the design of the new Rail4V4 + V logo should meet:
• Attractive, original, and eye-catching
• Modern, current, and timeless design
• Designed with a high expressive value
• Easy identification and memorability
• Respect for historic railways as heritage
• Highlighting their potential for the sustainable development of tourism in the regions
• Versatility of using the logo in the international context of all 5 partner countries
Conditions of inclusion and entry in the competition
The participant will deliver the competition report to the address of the Faculty of Architecture and
Design STU in Bratislava (FAD STU)
Námestie slobody 19,
812 45 Bratislava, Slovakia
Contact person for delivery of proposals:
Ing. arch. Vladimír Hain, PhD.,
ÚKAIS, room number: 307, tel.: 0904 471 618
To the sender’s address, the contestant will enter the text:
Competition „logo Rail4V4+V “
or electronically to both of the following addresses:
The competition proposal will include:
1. Competition proposal 1 max. 3 A3 formats (landscape) with the authors’ signature in the lower right corner
2. Signed application by the deadline of the competition, t. j., no later than 01.11.2021. (for delivery by post, the imprint of the stamp with the date of submission is decisive). By signing and sending the application the participant confirms his / her agreement with the conditions of the competition, with the method of presentation and display, as well as with the use of personal data for the purposes of the competition and accompanying activities.
Applications and the text of the competition conditions are available at the following address cultstore.org/projects/rail4v4v
Conditions for submitting proposals
1. Each of the participants in the competition (individual, two-member team) can submit a maximum of 1 proposal.
2. Tender proposals must be processed and delivered by the tender deadline to the following extent:
2.2 Colour variants of the logo
2.3 Black and white variants of the logo
2.4 Typography – defining a font family for the whole identity
2.5 Defining used and company colors – basic and additional colors
2.6 Defining the layout of the presentation poster (700 x 1000 mm) of the resulting projects using created identity, presentation layout (PowerPoint, PDF, 16: 9), book title
2.7 Definition and philosophy of the logo – written justification (explanation) of the meaning of the proposed logo in relation to the Rail4V4+V project (slogan/leitmotif)
2.8 The design of the info boards, which should include the project logo. Definition of the shape, material, text (basic info), QR code, and of course the Project logo. The Project logo, color scheme and font will be implemented on the web platform and all project materials. The cost of the Info Board should be maxed 300,- EUR.
3. The proposal must be precisely identified by the submitter (identification data of the author/authors).
4. Tender proposals do not need to be delivered in printed form. It is necessary to attach them in electronic form (PDF) in a range of up to 3 A3 formats (landscape).
Without the above requirements, the proposal will not be accepted.
All submitted proposals will be evaluated and the best 3 of them will be selected by a 5-member expert jury composed of:
• assoc. prof. Milan Lukáč, akad. soch. – Head of the Institute of Fine Arts and Multimedia FAD STU
• prof. Peter Paliatka., akad. soch. – Institute of Design FAD STU
• Ing. arch. Zuzana Zacharová – Design factory, o.z.
• akad. mal. Milan Pagáč – director of the Josef Vydra School of Art Industry in Bratislava
• Mgr. Ing. Daniela Chrančoková, PhD. – the representative from the regional self-government BBSK – the specialist for tourism, Chairman of KOCR BBKT
Jury members and representatives of the announcer may not be participants in the competition. The jury will evaluate the proposals immediately after the end of the competition and in the order of the 3 best proposals will recommend to the delegated representatives of 5 partner countries for the announcement of results by: 15.11.2021
• visual attractiveness, attractiveness
• semantic clarity and functionality
• graphic, symbolic expression of the logo in relation to the mission of the project
• simplicity of subsequent technical implementation
• level of artistic and aesthetic design
• Easy color and black and white reproducibility
• originality and uniqueness of the design
• maintaining high recognisability when zooming in and out.
Publication of competition results
Participants will be informed of the result of the competition no later than 15 days after the end of the commission’s work. The announcer reserves the right to inform the embargo for the media until the date of the public announcement of the results of the competition. The results of the competition will be published on November 30, 2021, on the website fa.stuba.sk, cultstore.org/projects/rail4v4v
The organizers reserve the right to publish non-winning proposals.
The announcer of the non-anonymous public tender undertakes to pay the author of the winning proposal a financial reward in the total amount of EUR 500.
1 st place 250 €.
2 nd place 150 €.
3 rd place 100 €.
Within 30 days of the publication of the results, CULT STORE will conclude a contract with the winner of the competition and a License Agreement in which the winner of the competition will give the announcer consent to use the competition proposal and draft manual by granting an exclusive license to an unlimited extent and free of charge in accordance with Act no. 618/2003 Coll. on copyright and related rights. To 30 days from the conclusion of the contract, the winner of the competition will deliver:
1. Logo design in vector format (*.svg *.pdf, *.eps)
2. Export to formats for further use (vector, bitmap) *.ai, *.eps, *.jpg
3. Logo manual; Minimum design requirements of the manual:
3.1. Symbolism – expresses what message the logo should leave, its philosophy (slogan),
3.2. Different variants of the logo – e.g. logotype A, B, C, 3.3. Colour of logotypes A, B, C,
3.4. Colours – basic and additional (CMYK, RGB, PANTONE),
3.5. Permissible color backgrounds that can go under logotypes,
3.6. Logo design – drawing a logo in a square grid,
3.7. Protection zone – a space in which no other graphic element should interfere,
3.8. Minimum logo size
3.9. Prohibited modifications of logotypes – incorrect sizes and other deformations of logos crossed out,
3.10. Typography – defining a font family for the whole identity, fonts used in a logotype or for printed matter,
3.11. Additional graphic elements (design of info board with logo and QR code – cost max 300 €),
3.12. Composition or logotype (poster 700×1000 mm, presentation 16: 9, A4, book title).
Dissemination/promotion of competition results
The competition will contribute to the development of awareness of students and the public about the importance of railway heritage in the V4 + Vojvodina region.
The promotion of the results of the competition will be ensured in the form of a traveling exhibition prepared under the curatorial auspices of the design factory, o.z., which will be realized at FAD STU as well as in all partner countries. The results of the competition will contribute not only to the promotion and interpretation of the railway heritage in an original way but also with their visuals.
Get involved too!